CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

The Adventures of Brad, Elizabeth, Allison and Will

Monday, July 19, 2010

A Day on the Farm

This past weekend, we went to Columbus, TX to visit an old acquaintance of my dad’s.  His name is Ed Alley and you would never guess where these two men met.  The year was 1969, and it was Vietnam.  My dad had enlisted into the U.S. Marine Corp. and was shipped off to Camp Pendleton, the Marine Corp. Recruit Depot in San Diego, CA for boot camp training. At the time, my dad was scared to death of Ed, see Ed Alley was one of my dad’s drill instructors.  This man was tough and intimidating.  His job was to break young recruits down and build them back up.  He was there to teach them how to survive in combat. 

A few years ago, a man in my father’s boot camp class decided to search out his old buddies and former drill instructors.  He contacted everyone he could find and set up a boot camp reunion.  So far, they have had two reunions in Branson, Missouri.  Both, have been wonderful experiences for my father.  Though their lives may have taken different paths, they all have a common bond.

So, over the course of the last two years, my dad had gotten to know Ed Alley and the two have become friends.  As my Mom said, “you never know God’s path for your life and the people in it.”  I know my dad never dreamed he would see the man he feared most during those days much less been invited out to his farm. 

IMG_3979

Mr. Alley, Dad and Allison in front of Mr. Alley’s smokehouse

 

 

IMG_3984

IMG_3981

We toured Mr. Alley’s farm and saw horses, cows, cardinals, big grasshoppers, jackrabbits and lots and lots of deer.  The black horse is so thin because he is over 50 years old!

IMG_3974

 

IMG_3971

The kids enjoyed playing on Mr. Alley’s tractor, especially Will.  He wanted to drive it and cried when I took him off of it!

 

IMG_3987

I think my Allison is a country girl at heart!

 

IMG_4003

Before leaving, the children and I took a ride on Mr. Alley’s mule and went down to the pond to see if we could find an alligator Mr. Alley had seen earlier, No Luck!

 

IMG_4008

Allison got to try on Mr. Alley’s “Smokey hat”.  How surreal for my Dad.

 

IMG_4012

We had a wonderful time on the farm and hope to go back over Labor Day.  Mr. Alley is so nice and hospitable and it was an honor to meet him.  Thank you Mr. Alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment